From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:26:38
1 On Saturday 12 June 2004 05:02, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 >
3 > The main problem is this.... the portage database is a file system based
4 > mechanism. That is to say, when you update, search or otherwise use emerge,
5 > the program is busy as hell leafing through thousands of files looking for
6 > what you want..
7 >
8 > "Hashed", "indexed"??? Not even close....
9 >
10 > Portage is begging for a decent database engine and I pray it's sql
11 > based....
12 >
13 > The other hitch is that portage is written in an interpreted language,
14 > Python. Python is an excellent programming language, no doubt about it, but
15 > performance isn't one of it's highlights. Moving portage to C would be so
16 > much better....
17
18 Not really, believe me. Although there are parts of portage that should
19 probably be written in c / c++ those are only a small part of all code.
20
21 The big problem (if you had looked into it) is that currently the only
22 reliable way to read an ebuild is to invoke bash with the whole bagage
23 of /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh. This is why I am so much against dynamic behaviour on
24 the global level. It one breaks the cache, but also makes creating a parser
25 (Currently ebuilds are not parsed by portage!!) so much harder.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze
31 Gentoo Developer