From: Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:13:14
I'm not sure whether I posted this here or only to who I thought was
the package maintainer, but I noticed that qpkg -q was slow, and that
most of it is in something like "sed -e s: :\n:" (I'm not sure what it
was exactly, I changed it on both my computers), which can also be
written as "tr ' ' '\n'", changing the runtime from ten+ minutes to
three seconds on my old celeron 400 (after it caches filesystem
metadata for the find, 'course).

Tiny li'l difference -- just a thought about a small fix to portage:)
Also, perhaps someone looking around the code a little more might
help. I'm sure -s, and especially -S, needn't be as slow as it is,
assuming portage won't change from its current filsystem setup. I'm
wondering - are there any plans to change that?

--Bart Alewijnse