From: Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:13:14
1 I'm not sure whether I posted this here or only to who I thought was
2 the package maintainer, but I noticed that qpkg -q was slow, and that
3 most of it is in something like "sed -e s: :\n:" (I'm not sure what it
4 was exactly, I changed it on both my computers), which can also be
5 written as "tr ' ' '\n'", changing the runtime from ten+ minutes to
6 three seconds on my old celeron 400 (after it caches filesystem
7 metadata for the find, 'course).
8
9 Tiny li'l difference -- just a thought about a small fix to portage:)
10 Also, perhaps someone looking around the code a little more might
11 help. I'm sure -s, and especially -S, needn't be as slow as it is,
12 assuming portage won't change from its current filsystem setup. I'm
13 wondering - are there any plans to change that?
14
15 --Bart Alewijnse
18 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list