From: Kevin Faulkner <kevlar.kernel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] TCP perfomance
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:42:30
1 Yes, I also forgot that I had been subscribed to this list.
2 To get a topic going I was at work and I argued that we should disable
3 TCP timestamps. I was discussing in a meeting that this would cut back
4 (perhaps very slightly) on the amount of work that the system has to do
5 before sending a packet out. In a high traffic system (like a file
6 server or a mail server or in my case a Oracle Database), not having to
7 throw this on every packet should increase performance ever so slightly.
8 Disabling this would benefit security, as the attacker would not be able
9 to gather the up time from the targeted system.
10 Like I said this might be a slight increase, but its an increase
11 none-the-less, and when you have a DBA crying about poor network speed
12 or IO, or the system is too heavily loaded, then this keeps him quiet
13 for a few days. :)
14 Any thoughts???
15 --
16 gentoo-performance@l.g.o mailing list