From: Kevin Faulkner <kevlar.kernel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] TCP perfomance
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:42:30
Yes, I also forgot that I had been subscribed to this list.
To get a topic going I was at work and I argued that we should disable
TCP timestamps. I was discussing in a meeting that this would cut back
(perhaps very slightly) on the amount of work that the system has to do
before sending a packet out. In a high traffic system (like a file
server or a mail server or in my case a Oracle Database), not having to
throw this on every packet should increase performance ever so slightly.
Disabling this would benefit security, as the attacker would not be able
to gather the up time from the targeted system.
Like I said this might be a slight increase, but its an increase
none-the-less, and when you have a DBA crying about poor network speed
or IO, or the system is too heavily loaded, then this keeps him quiet
for a few days. :)
Any thoughts???