From: Francisco Rivas <taken2k4@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] performance testing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:30:59

Your experience Daniel it is so good, I the company what I work have the
SunFire V440 with CentOS and It is so bad, so bad, actually one of the most
important problamens what we have is :

One day the company page can not be accessed from anywahere, including the
same company, and the apache (httpd), network services  seems to be fine, we
probing so many things, the last what we try was restart al services related
with networking, and guess what, the problem was resolved. Looking in the
web for causes of the problem, I read in a web CentOS have so problems,
CentOS sometimes said "the service es OK" but that is not true.

Few days later we (thecnicians) have a meeting to talk about the problem,
and we decide migrate to gentoo, when the deparment coordinator talk with
the boss, the boss said NO! gentoo NO!, because CentOS it is more
productive, and gentoo is so much dificult to configure and our cordinator
said "no boss it is not true" and the boss said "this is my last word".

I think what the boss decision is no good because Gentoo it is better, much
better in many ways.

What I want with all that?... Have any people in the list some experiences
with this kind of migrate? somebody can tell me about your experience?

Thanks in advance and regards..

Note : Excuse me for my english, I am learning... Thanks and Excuses... Have
a nice day

On 4/29/07, Guillaume Ceccarelli <lastrainson@×××××.com> wrote:
> > I have to agree with Daniel here. This list is very low traffic. If you > want to reach a broad part of the gentoo community, I think the Gentoo > forums could be the way to go. ( ). As for the > performance tests, I don't think either that the server world would give you > a lot of differences in terms of performance whether you're using Gentoo or > a popular server-oriented binary distro. > > Just my 2 cents... > > On 4/29/07, Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se> wrote: > > > > > Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if a Gentoo server was significantly > > > faster than a CentOS 5 (RHEL 5 clone) server on a high-intensity > > > server workload. But I have tried a lot of distros for scientific > > > workstations, and Gentoo does seem to have an advantage there. > > > > I would have to agree. The performance gains in Gentoo tend to (In the > > Real World(tm) ) come from not having a bunch of crap instaled an > > running that hogs memory rather than from using a particular set of > > optimizing flags. Further, real-word servers ten to be built with some > > performance margin in order to handle load spikes, so a few percent > > here and there wouldn't really be measurable, assuming you compare to a > > system that isn't bloated. > > > > Further,this list has averaged at about one post per month since around > > 2003 when I joined, so don't expect to gett too many replies from here. > > > > --DA > > > > >
-- Francisco Rivas

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-performance] performance testing "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>