From: Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] Speeding up program starts with squashfs
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 19:20:27
1 deer, list!
2
3 I currently try to minimize the application startup-time for my gentoo-laptop.
4 Even with prelink it takes about one minute to start kde and all programs in
5 autostart due to the heavy disk i/o load.
6 In the last days I did some tests with taking a copy of my regular /usr (ext3)
7 dir and storing it in a squashfs file. I then mount it as loopback device
8 on /usr. (Leaving the original copy still intact but hidden.)
9
10 Those are the effects I try to achieve:
11 1. The filesystem has no fragmentation at all. Files in my regular /usr dir
12 are somewhat fragmented, but not too badly.
13 2. It's compressed: less disk i/o and more cpu load.
14
15 So far the results have been promising. With the new squashfs I'm down to
16 around 50 secs (-16%). But at the moment my benchmark methods are quite
17 primitve. I simply have a stopwatch nearby and meassure the time from login
18 to when the disk is idle again. I'm looking forward to some input on this.
19
20 greets
21 Roman