From: Cory Grunden <cory.grunden@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] Re: Digest of gentoo-performance@gentoo.org issue 13 (100-109)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:16:50
1 > deer, list!
2 >
3 > I currently try to minimize the application startup-time for my
4 > gentoo-laptop.
5 > Even with prelink it takes about one minute to start kde and all programs in
6 > autostart due to the heavy disk i/o load.
7 > In the last days I did some tests with taking a copy of my regular /usr
8 > (ext3)
9 > dir and storing it in a squashfs file. I then mount it as loopback device
10 > on /usr. (Leaving the original copy still intact but hidden.)
11 >
12 > Those are the effects I try to achieve:
13 > 1. The filesystem has no fragmentation at all. Files in my regular /usr dir
14 > are somewhat fragmented, but not too badly.
15 > 2. It's compressed: less disk i/o and more cpu load.
16 >
17 > So far the results have been promising. With the new squashfs I'm down to
18 > around 50 secs (-16%). But at the moment my benchmark methods are quite
19 > primitve. I simply have a stopwatch nearby and meassure the time from login
20 > to when the disk is idle again. I'm looking forward to some input on this.
21 >
22 > greets
23 > Roman
24 >
25 Some things that I believe help with startup time are:
26 -Os and LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed"
27 In order to use the new --hash-styles, you need at least
28 >=binutils-2.17.50.X, which is keyworded with -*
29 --
30 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list