From: Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Speeding up program starts with squashfs
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 19:30:34
1 You may want to look into using ReadAhead, some of the newer init systems
2 are using it to decrease boot time.
6 On 5/9/07, Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > deer, list!
9 >
10 > I currently try to minimize the application startup-time for my
11 > gentoo-laptop.
12 > Even with prelink it takes about one minute to start kde and all programs
13 > in
14 > autostart due to the heavy disk i/o load.
15 > In the last days I did some tests with taking a copy of my regular /usr
16 > (ext3)
17 > dir and storing it in a squashfs file. I then mount it as loopback device
18 > on /usr. (Leaving the original copy still intact but hidden.)
19 >
20 > Those are the effects I try to achieve:
21 > 1. The filesystem has no fragmentation at all. Files in my regular /usr
22 > dir
23 > are somewhat fragmented, but not too badly.
24 > 2. It's compressed: less disk i/o and more cpu load.
25 >
26 > So far the results have been promising. With the new squashfs I'm down to
27 > around 50 secs (-16%). But at the moment my benchmark methods are quite
28 > primitve. I simply have a stopwatch nearby and meassure the time from
29 > login
30 > to when the disk is idle again. I'm looking forward to some input on this.
31 >
32 > greets
33 > Roman
40 Derek Tracy