From: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] performance testing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:52:57
1 > Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if a Gentoo server was significantly
2 > faster than a CentOS 5 (RHEL 5 clone) server on a high-intensity
3 > server workload. But I have tried a lot of distros for scientific
4 > workstations, and Gentoo does seem to have an advantage there.
5
6 I would have to agree. The performance gains in Gentoo tend to (In the
7 Real World(tm) ) come from not having a bunch of crap instaled an
8 running that hogs memory rather than from using a particular set of
9 optimizing flags. Further, real-word servers ten to be built with some
10 performance margin in order to handle load spikes, so a few percent
11 here and there wouldn't really be measurable, assuming you compare to a
12 system that isn't bloated.
13
14 Further,this list has averaged at about one post per month since around
15 2003 when I joined, so don't expect to gett too many replies from here.
16
17 --DA