From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:03:22
1 J. Roeleveld writes:
2
3 > Can you post the result of: "ps axu"?
4 > This will give an indication which processes are running and using a
5 > lot of memory.
6
7 The fifth colums gives the memory, right? Should this add up to the total
8 of the 'used' column in free -m?
9
10 Because it does not:
11
12 wonko@weird ~ $ free -m
13 total used free shared buffers cached
14 Mem: 3452 3117 334 0 39 279
15 -/+ buffers/cache: 2798 653
16 Swap: 4094 1472 2622
17
18 wonko@weird ~ $ total=0; for rss in $( ps aux | grep -v USER | awk '{print
19 $6}' ); do (( total += rss )); done; echo $(( total / 1024 ))
20 1984
21
22 So, I get a sum of around 2 G with ps, while free -m shows 4.5 G. Whoops?
23 Am I missing something here, or does it look like lots of RAM is not being
24 freed?
25
26 Wonko