From: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 05:37:06
> Well, I suppose that's part of the problem. What does O3 improve?
I cannot speak for the -03 from gcc specifically, but most optimizations tend to increase the processes within the CPU. Further, for them to help, the compiler tends to need to, at compile time, know how the code will run. As such, it does almost nothing for event-driven code like the entire X-windows system. Further, I would like to see the linux computer today which has a processing problem when it comes to X. The disk-access times to load binaries far overshadow anything processor related in all computers I have seen. My suggestion to the general user: Get raided, super-fast scsi disks and a mobo with low-latency memory if you want a truly fast computer.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>