From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:08:07
1 On Thursday 26 August 2010 02:11:44 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > I think I just found the problem! I decided to give the open source ATI
3 > drivers a try again, and replaced 'fglrx' by 'radeon' in my xorg.conf. And
4 > all is fast now. Wow. I had already forgotten how fast a desktop should
5 > be.
6 >
7 > I'm not yet sure all is fine. On the first start, kwin crashed and all
8 > windows were on the first desktop, this never happened before. But it's
9 > working on the second login. I have no direct rendering, Xorg.0.log shows
10 > (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed (libdri too old). I had
11 > this before with xorg-server-1.7.7, now I'm emerging 1.8.2. Stay tuned.
12 >
13 > Wonko
14
15 Ok, looks like your video-driver was using up too much resources.
16 Either with all the desktop-effects or with something else.
17
18 I can't help further with ATI-issues as I don't use them myself.
19
20 I do know that I need to change more then just the driver in my xorg.conf when
21 using nvidie-drivers. Am wondering if your crashes occured because of a
22 similar issue.
23 Eg. the "dri" module is only for the ATI-driver and not for the open-source
24 one?
27 Joost