From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:16:51
1 > The basic problem in searching is actually that it isn't implemented smartly
2 > in current portage. I have working (emerge -s like) code that is blazingly
3 > fast as it does not actually open all ebuilds. Doing description searching is
4 > impossible to do fast without some kind of cache. I don't think creating a
5 > reliable cache for that is going to be a priority, but it is certainly
6 > possible ;-).
7
8 Wouldnt a database used only for the purpose of description searches
9 be relatively easy to implement? after all, the description string
10 doesnt change based on masking, keywords, installed packages, version
11 numbers, etc. Thus, most of the dificulty of maintaining the database
12 is eliminated. Unless I am way off:)
15 > As for rsync, the amount of files is too big, and I would like to reduce that
16 > amount, but I don't see databases being a good replacement. We need something
17 > that works in such a way that even a corrupted tree gets into a good status
18 > after updating.
19 >
20 just a thought, but couldn't a database somehow involving the mtimes
21 be used to decide which files to rsync? I"m not to sure on this, I
22 just thought it might spark some good ideas.
23
24 > Paul
25 >
26 > --