From: "Peter A. H. Peterson" <pedro@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] performance testing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:06:02
1 Hi Everyone,
2
3 My name is Peter Peterson and I represent a group of a grad students
4 at UCLA. We're in a computer systems performance analysis course and we
5 were hoping to do a general performance comparison of gentoo vs. a
6 popular binary i386-compatible distribution (probably ubuntu) in some
7 "real-world" server tests to try and meaningfully calculate the
8 performance gains that local compilation provides. (For example,
9 apache2 requests processed per second on the same hardware.)
10
11 I've subscribed to this list because we want the gentoo community to
12 be involved in helping us design the tests so that we can hopefully
13 all feel good about what and how we are testing the systems.
14
15 We have no particular outcome in mind; our group represents a wide
16 range of computer users, from Mac, Linux, and Windows enthusiasts, and
17 we have all used a wide variety of Linux distributions. We have simply
18 noticed that much of the discussion of gentoo's performance advantage
19 is anecdotal and we're genuinely hoping to provide some meaningful
20 experimental data for discussion. Also, if anyone knows of any
21 available benchmark data or papers on this subject, we'd love to hear
22 about them. There was apparently a paper on slashdot a couple of years
23 ago, but the host it was on appears to now be squatted. For that
24 matter, if this is a well understood or closed issue (for example, if
25 the statistics that people quote are actually from good experimental
26 data) please let us know.
27
28 Is anyone here interested in discussing this project? We are
29 specifically interested in discussing methodology, testing suits,
30 CFLAGS and other options. Our desire is not to "trick out" gentoo or
31 ubuntu, but rather quantify the performance benefit that gentoo has
32 over binary distributions with "normal" compile flags (whatever normal
33 is).
34
35 Thanks for your time,
36
37 Peter Peterson (et al)
40 Peter A. H. Peterson, technician and musician.
41 ---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---
42 --
43 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list