From: Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:57:26
Yeah, I told him that now, in a mail I just noticed I forgot to copy the gentoo
list address into. gmail does NOT cooperate with mailing lists, *sigh*

(Incidentally, I used the dd as a test on my own computer (384mb of
mem) to see when it would start swapping out processes, in case you
wondered why I suggested doing that)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:44:09 -0400, Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com> wrote:
> um. that makes NO sense at ALL. > Besides, youve missed the point that using 99% of your physical memory > is not a problem. However, the fact that /proc/sys/vm/swappiness does > not exist is extreemly wierd, maybe you need support for it compiled > into your kernel. While youre at it, maybe you need to check some > other parts of your kernel config. Make sure you have shared memory > support compiled into your kernel!
That seems sensical. I know very little about the details of swapping, but I have swappiness as well (currenly running gentoo with, err, with kernel 2.6.8-rc2.mm1). However, from a quick google I think it might be a 2.6 feature; he runs a 2.4 kernel. --Bart Alewijnse -- gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list