From: Miguel Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] TCP perfomance
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:07:20
1 There is no such thing has a TCP timestamp:
2 http://freebie.fatpipe.org/~mjb/Drawings/TCP_Header.png
3
4 so, that doesn't make any sense...
5
6 On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Kevin Faulkner <kevlar.kernel@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > Yes, I also forgot that I had been subscribed to this list.
8 > To get a topic going I was at work and I argued that we should disable TCP
9 > timestamps. I was discussing in a meeting that this would cut back (perhaps
10 > very slightly) on the amount of work that the system has to do before
11 > sending a packet out. In a high traffic system (like a file server or a mail
12 > server or in my case a Oracle Database), not having to throw this on every
13 > packet should increase performance ever so slightly. Disabling this would
14 > benefit security, as the attacker would not be able to gather the up time
15 > from the targeted system.
16 > Like I said this might be a slight increase, but its an increase
17 > none-the-less, and when you have a DBA crying about poor network speed or
18 > IO, or the system is too heavily loaded, then this keeps him quiet for a few
19 > days. :)
20 > Any thoughts???
21 > --
22 > gentoo-performance@l.g.o mailing list