From: Bart Van Kerkhove <overige.vk@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] portage performance
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:36:12
1 Try emerging esearch
2
3 emerge esearch
4 eupdatedb
5 esearch <packagename>
6
7 FrostFire
10 > Hello,
11 >
12 > First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
13 > I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
14 > perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.
15 >
16 > I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
17 > system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
18 > FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
19 > has much better support for Wine and such.
20 >
21 > One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
22 > ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
23 > search for ports/packages with Portage.
24 >
25 > I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
26 > now, and probably only half of that installed on the
27 > Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
28 > more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
29 > with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.
30 >
31 > And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!
32 >
33 > Is portage not hash indexed or something?
34 >
35 > --
36 > Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
37 > WingNET Internet Services,
38 > P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
39 > 423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
40 > http://www.wingnet.net
44 > --
45 > gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list
51 Linux -- Life is too short to reboot.
52 Wifi Node Bart: http://wiki.detached.be/index.php/Nodes/Bart
53 Warning: HTML-mail will be ignored.
57 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list