From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] portage performance
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:30:50
1 Hello,
2
3 First off, sorry if this isn't the right place!
4 I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except
5 perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer.
6
7 I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home
8 system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any
9 FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux
10 has much better support for Wine and such.
11
12 One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD
13 ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to
14 search for ports/packages with Portage.
15
16 I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right
17 now, and probably only half of that installed on the
18 Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot
19 more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does
20 with a pkg_version -vs 'name'.
21
22 And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages!
23
24 Is portage not hash indexed or something?
27 Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
28 WingNET Internet Services,
29 P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
30 423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
31 http://www.wingnet.net
36 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list