From: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:44:33
1 Gyujin Park wrote:
2 > My previous server OS choice was Red Hat, which did often change to swap. I
3 > though Gentoo did it too.
4 >
5 > Thanks,
6 >
7 > Tom
8
9 This has absolutely nothing to do with RedHat nor Gentoo. The kernel is
10 responsible for swap. Both Gentoo and RedHat use Linux (with the
11 exception of Gentoo/MacOS and Gentoo/BSD of course) as the kernel.
12
13 Most likely, you missed a step during the install or somewhere along the
14 line.
15
16 Here's my (hopefully) find your magical answer survey:
17
18 1) Did you run mkswap during the gentoo install? If yes, which device?
19 (ie /dev/hda5)
20 2) You've already answered someone else when they asked if you had the
21 entry in fstab, please post the entry.
22 3) Post the output of "dmesg | grep swap"
23 4) Which kernel (and version) are you using?
24 5) Post the output of "grep -i swap /usr/src/linux/.config"
25 6) If it exists, post the output of "cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"
26
27 That's all I can think of for now... Hopefully that will generate
28 enough information so that we can help you fix your problem.
29
30 Cheers
31 --
32 Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow.
33
34 /* Aaron Walker
35 * http://butsugenjitemple.org/~ka0ttic/
36 */