From: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] swap?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:44:33
Gyujin Park wrote:
> My previous server OS choice was Red Hat, which did often change to swap. I > though Gentoo did it too. > > Thanks, > > Tom
This has absolutely nothing to do with RedHat nor Gentoo. The kernel is responsible for swap. Both Gentoo and RedHat use Linux (with the exception of Gentoo/MacOS and Gentoo/BSD of course) as the kernel. Most likely, you missed a step during the install or somewhere along the line. Here's my (hopefully) find your magical answer survey: 1) Did you run mkswap during the gentoo install? If yes, which device? (ie /dev/hda5) 2) You've already answered someone else when they asked if you had the entry in fstab, please post the entry. 3) Post the output of "dmesg | grep swap" 4) Which kernel (and version) are you using? 5) Post the output of "grep -i swap /usr/src/linux/.config" 6) If it exists, post the output of "cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness" That's all I can think of for now... Hopefully that will generate enough information so that we can help you fix your problem. Cheers -- Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow. /* Aaron Walker * */ -- gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list