From: Gyujin Park <gpark@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] gentoo performance problem with quota.
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:35:04
Wow, I just noticed a siginifcant problem with Gentoo Performance with "Quotas"

according to "System Security Guide", one of the documentation, enabling quotas
should not be a problem.

However, I just removed quota from activating, and there was a significat
improvment in memory usage, and responsiveness.

HEre is the test system, y'all know.

933MHz P3 coppermine
512MB Physica Memory
40GB HDD 7200RPM
80GB HDD 1K RPM (<-- /home folders, quotas set)
1024MB Swap.

The server's physical memory usage went down from,

~510MB to ~50MB

when I turned off quota, and Apache2 and vsFTPD was running.

The server's responsiveness to regular mysql query with 100 fields,
were from

3sec to ~0.3sec.

This is weird, I guess Gentoo is not too good with Quotas. I just made a clean
installation to 2.6.7 Development-sources due to previous swap problem.

---- Introducing Spymac MailPro: