From: Gyujin Park <gpark@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-performance] gentoo performance problem with quota.
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:35:04
1 Wow, I just noticed a siginifcant problem with Gentoo Performance with "Quotas"
2
3 according to "System Security Guide", one of the documentation, enabling quotas
4 should not be a problem.
5
6 However, I just removed quota from activating, and there was a significat
7 improvment in memory usage, and responsiveness.
8
9 HEre is the test system, y'all know.
10
11 933MHz P3 coppermine
12 512MB Physica Memory
13 40GB HDD 7200RPM
14 80GB HDD 1K RPM (<-- /home folders, quotas set)
15 1024MB Swap.
16
17 The server's physical memory usage went down from,
18
19 ~510MB to ~50MB
20
21 when I turned off quota, and Apache2 and vsFTPD was running.
22
23 The server's responsiveness to regular mysql query with 100 fields,
24 were from
25
26 3sec to ~0.3sec.
27
28 This is weird, I guess Gentoo is not too good with Quotas. I just made a clean
29 installation to 2.6.7 Development-sources due to previous swap problem.
30
31 -Tom-
32 ---- Introducing Spymac MailPro: http://www.spymac.com/mailpro/
35 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list