From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:04:17
Kacper Kopczyński writes:

> Checkout configuration of your video driver - X should not take more > than 5% of cpu when iddle (with some minor effects). Perhaps kde is not > using OpenGL? Do you have OpenGL enabled?
I'm using ati-drivers-10.7 with xorg-server-1.7.7-r1. No special settings in xorg.conf. I never had much success with the open source radeon drivers. First they did not run at all, I either did not get X started, or I only got a blank screen. One month ago then I had success with xf86- video-ati-6.13.1, but X crashed instantly when I moved the mouse cursor onto the KDE panel. But now I have a new KDe version, so I wil give them a try soon. Wow, at the moment X takes 95%. When I disable desktop effects, it's down to 5%. When enable desktop effects again, X uses 60%. Now I went into systemsettings -> desktop effects -> all effects, and played around with the individual settings. When I disable the blur effect (two lines after transparency), X usage is at less than 20%. Weird, I do not even see any difference this effect makes. Cool, much less X usage by disabling something I did not even notice :) Is 15-25% X usage still too much? I have several plasmoids running, so I'm not surprised this eats some performance. BTW, at [*] there are some screenshots of my desktop, which did not change much since I did the screenshots. The system already feels better now. But this cannot be the only problem, I sometimes (especially during large emerges) turn desktop effects off, and when I have too much load, they are turned off automatically.
> Amount of ram you have should be sufficent to compile everything > without access to swap space.
Damn right. I used to have less memory, and ran very memory-intensive applications, and the system was much more responsive than now. Wonko [*]