From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Horrible performance
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:04:17
1 Kacper Kopczyński writes:
2
3 > Checkout configuration of your video driver - X should not take more
4 > than 5% of cpu when iddle (with some minor effects). Perhaps kde is not
5 > using OpenGL? Do you have OpenGL enabled?
6
7 I'm using ati-drivers-10.7 with xorg-server-1.7.7-r1. No special settings
8 in xorg.conf. I never had much success with the open source radeon
9 drivers. First they did not run at all, I either did not get X started, or
10 I only got a blank screen. One month ago then I had success with xf86-
11 video-ati-6.13.1, but X crashed instantly when I moved the mouse cursor
12 onto the KDE panel. But now I have a new KDe version, so I wil give them a
13 try soon.
14
15 Wow, at the moment X takes 95%. When I disable desktop effects, it's down
16 to 5%. When enable desktop effects again, X uses 60%.
17
18 Now I went into systemsettings -> desktop effects -> all effects, and
19 played around with the individual settings. When I disable the blur effect
20 (two lines after transparency), X usage is at less than 20%. Weird, I do
21 not even see any difference this effect makes. Cool, much less X usage by
22 disabling something I did not even notice :)
23
24 Is 15-25% X usage still too much? I have several plasmoids running, so I'm
25 not surprised this eats some performance. BTW, at [*] there are some
26 screenshots of my desktop, which did not change much since I did the
27 screenshots.
28
29 The system already feels better now. But this cannot be the only problem,
30 I sometimes (especially during large emerges) turn desktop effects off,
31 and when I have too much load, they are turned off automatically.
32
33 > Amount of ram you have should be sufficent to compile everything
34 > without access to swap space.
35
36 Damn right. I used to have less memory, and ran very memory-intensive
37 applications, and the system was much more responsive than now.
38
39 Wonko
40
41 [*] http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2010-06-19/