From: Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] why different ebuilds for perl and libperl?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:08:48
1 > I am curious for a long time, why there are libperl and perl, which
2 > seemingly both recompile perl.
3
4 Michael Cummings ( http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.perl/238 ):
5 > [...] Right now we have an ebuild for libperl to build a the shared
6 > library, and the in the regular perl ebuild we build a huge honking
7 > static perl.
8 >
9 > I can see some of the rationale of this historically - on a fried box, a
10 > static perl will still run, whereas a dynamic one will be dead if
11 > /usr/lib is toasted.
12 >
13 > But seriously, do we really need to keep these separate? Wouldn't a
14 > (pseudo-ebuild syntax) IUSE="...static" and a if static? (myconf=$myconf
15 > -Dstatic_option) else ( myconf=$myconf -Ddynamic_option) work? (yeah,
16 > that was really bad pseudo-ebuild code, you get the drift).
17
18 IIRC we decided on merging libperl and perl in the future.
21 Christian Hartmann
22 http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/
23
24 PGP Key:
25 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
26 Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865
29 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list