From: Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] PortageXS / Gentoo::Portage
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:00:17
1 Hi all,
2
3 I promised that I'll keep you posted about the progress I'm making. First of
4 all Gentoo::Portage it's now called PortageXS just because of some reasons:
5
6 - there already sits a Gentoo::Portage on my harddrive thanks to g-cpan ;)
7 - if you don't like it I'll continue working on PortageXS anyways for my own
8 toys - different namespace - no harm done :)
9 - I like the name 'PortageXS' because it pretty much describes what it does:
10 access portage stuff using perl; providing an abstraction layer to portage
11 - it's based on up2date-ng and @otherscripts - not based on Gentoo::Portage
12
13 Grab the ebuild here:
14 http://download.iansview.com/gentoo/tools/PortageXS/PortageXS-0.01_pre1.ebuild
15
16 Examples:
17 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/PortageXS/examples/
18
19 At this very point it's nothing that exciting but it contains (almost) all the
20 methods/subs I'm using in my tools. It's clean and very simple code. It's
21 following (most of) the coding-style dams proposed in his previous email
22 (except of the pod and unless/and do_something() stuff - I'll change it to
23 use pod in a later _preX version). I've also added some code examples and a
24 bunch of tests. - Support for CPAN is completly missing at this point.
25
26 Ok. - Whats next?
27
28 1.a.) You like that stuff? - Great.. let's put it in svn and hack on it
29 together then..
30 1.b.) You don't like that stuff? - Great.. tell me what's wrong with it and
31 what you would like to see changed. - Otherwise just rip Gentoo::Portage out
32 of g-cpan and proceed with step 4.
33 2.) Add ::CPAN stuff.
34 3.) Include some of g-cpans Gentoo::Portage functions currently missing.
35 4.) Write some cool docs/pods.
36 5.) Add PortageXS (or whatever name we agree on) to dev-perl/.
37 6.) Make g-cpan, up2date-ng and perl-info use PortageXS (I already have
38 versions of up2date-ng and perl-info sitting on my harddrive that use
39 PortageXS.. a two minute job..)
42 Christian Hartmann
43 http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/
44
45 PGP Key:
46 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
47 Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865
50 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list