From: Elfyn McBratney <beu@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:58:30
1 /me waves @ new list :)
2
3 On Tuesday 10 May 2005 19:32, Michael Cummings wrote:
4 > OK, I'm going to cut this up a little, but to bring everyone into the chain
5 > for a discussion cab and I were having about g-cpan (or my responses) :)
6 >
7 > >- What about the --upgrade ? I'm not sure it's a good idea (at least for
8 > >now). It relys too much on user's behaviour imho, praying that he didn't
9 > >delete/move his overlays/ebuilds. Maybe there could be another way using
10 > >/var/db to find what we need. I think that for now beu's suggestion of a
11 > >simple --list to get all ebuilds handled by g-cpan would be a better first
12 > >step ;)
13 >
14 > I'd kind of like to keep the upgrade (now that it's there). The idea behind
15 > it is if user installs module-foo-1 via g-cpan, they can't in the old
16 > system upgrade it without removing the ebuilds from their overlay. This
17 > gives them the ability to upgrade, as well as to tweak/update for upstream
18 > changes. Also means we can say "we don't support it, but use g-cpan to
19 > upgrade it" (beu knows what i'm talking about re: recent bug history)
20
21 Exactly, this is a perfect reason to keep, and improve upon the notion of
22 `g-cpan --upgrade`, imo. :) Being able to respond to bug reports with a
23 `g-cpan --upgrade whatever ..` and fix a user issue (come up quite few times
24 in the month and a half that i've been on perl@, as Mike mentioned ;) makes
25 all our bug-wrangling lives easier.
26
27 Expanding on this a little, and now vdb has been mentioned ;), we could have,
28 say, a --check-origin option to g-cpan - which would check for a
29 tag/identifier in the ebuild in the vdb denoting that it was created by
30 g-cpan - to ascertain whether or not the ebuild was installed via g-cpan
31 (duh ;) or not .. not something that would be as useful now, but in time once
32 such a thing is wide-spread .. lemme know if I'm way of base 'ere ;)
33
34 > >- would a special file dedicated to g-cpan be a good thing ? now that it's
35 > >a standalone application, we maybe could have it to be a bit bigger. For
36 > >example, this (these) files could allow us to store ebuild infos (what has
37 > >already been generated, pathes, versions.. etc), or as small CPAN infos
38 > >repository, by having an internal db of versions of every modules without
39 > >having to call CPAN each time we launch g-cpan. a g-cpan --update command
40 > >would update this mini-db, or we could force it on a regular basis, or add
41 > >a check in g-cpan.
42 >
43 > Not sure I follow (I think I do, but could you expand?)
44
45 gcpan-world, anyone ? :) Like the --check-origin idea above, with the
46 metadata cab mentioned (installed cpv (category, package and version) next
47 available cpv - the upgrade option, etc.), stored somewhere for later
48 inspection, etc.
49
50 Thinking about this some (probably duplicating parts or all of what cab was
51 thinking ;), we could do the following on a new install/upgrade of an
52 existing g-cpan'd ebuild:
53
54 - check for the latest cpan version of foo;
55 - grab the latest versions of foo's dependencies (if any);
56 - write that out to a world/avail. file (a saved-state thing)
57 - use it on the next g-cpan run (upgrade if not within a set 'cache ttl'
58
59 With that (getting slightly adventurous) we could implement things like
60 CPAN-dependency listings (a la `emerge -pvt dev-perl/Foo` - without having to
61 actually make the ebuilds), --pretend (you know what that'd do ;), --sync
62 (update metadata from CPAN, maybe even fetching the Xmodules.txt (tho
63 CPAN.pm'll do this every other day when said files are updated), etc. files
64 and stashing them locally, ..
65
66 </muse> :P
67
68 > >- Thinking about config and optional options, wouldn't a config file be an
69 > >helpful thing ? let's say a /etc/g-cpan.conf, that would allow us to store
70 > >default behaviour, delays between forced update, and such things..
71 >
72 > or ~/.g-cpan.conf since we now support user calls :)
73
74 Oooh, +1 :D
75
76 > >smaller things :
77 > >
78 > >- a special sub for md5ing things ? ($md5 = md5-sum($file)). It would
79 > > clean some lines ;)
80 >
81 > as well as the whole scanning the tree parts :)
82 >
83 > >- updating exit_usage ;p
84 >
85 > yeah - thinking we might not want to remove the generated config for cpan,
86 > just tell them its there and they can fix it if they want better
87 > performance
88 >
89 > >That's all for his hour
90 > >Am i thinking too much ? :)
91 >
92 > maybe :)
93
94 This is all sounding cool, be is excited. :)
95
96 Best,
97 Elfyn
100 Elfyn McBratney http://beu.merseine.nu/
101 beu/irc.freenode.net http://dev.gentoo.org/~beu/
102 +------------O.o--------------------- http://dev.gentoo.org/~beu/pubkey.asc
103
104 PGP Key ID: 0x69DF17AD
105 PGP Key Fingerprint:
106 DBD3 B756 ED58 B1B4 47B9 B3BD 8D41 E597 69DF 17AD