From: "Beau E. Cox" <beaucox@×××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-perl <gentoo-perl@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-perl] CPAN ebuild moans and groans
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:32:31
Hi Michael et. al.

I have spent the last two days implementing an 'automatic'
CPAN module update system. I had a similar scheme when I
used Sorcerer and found it quite usefull. The idea is that
I maintain a mirror of CPAN with a daily rsync, and then
automatically build .ebuilds in my local PORTDIR, which then are
installed during the daily emerge --sync && emerge -uD world.
So far so good, but there are several bothersome gentoo
'conventions' I feel I want to air:

1) Who is it that made some CPAN builds lowercase (module-build,
not Module-Build, net-server not Net-Server)? Bad idea. It would
be easier (for my system, at least) to leave the names in the
CPAN form.

2) Lots of trouble with modules that indicate major versions
with 2 digits and minor revisions with four; Module-Build
for example:
I bypassed this problem by making my ebuild file names as
where 1137143770 is the 'epoch second' date of the tarball.
I can then be sure the order is correct and put code
in all ebuilds to get rid of the date-seconds:
  MY_PV=${PV:11}  and so on.

3) I pull my tarballs from my local mirror. I am using my
apache server to do this via SRC_URI="http://localhost/..."
But sometimes the request goes to my defined gentoo mirror
anyway. Why?

4) How about adding file:/// and rsync:// support for

Aloha => Beau;