From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] Introduction and Possible New Objectives
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:13:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 I joined the perl herd awhile ago and have been helping out the cause. I
4 think it's fair I introduce myself as another point of contact in the madness
5 that is perl in Gentoo. So:
6
7 1) Who are you?
8
9 I'm Chris White, live in Northern California. Hobbies include Japanese * and
10 general excercise methods.
11
12 2) Are you considered sane?
13
14 Depends on what I'm doing, but in general no.
15
16 3) Why care about perl?
17
18 I started working on perl because I noticed quite a few jobs wanted perl
19 experience as a requirement. I decided to re-learn perl (I'd used it before
20 slightly) and realized afterwards how powerful the language was for my
21 general usage. I realized that perl in Gentoo was a bit lacking, so I
22 stepped in and started to help.
23
24 4) What can we expect in the future?
25
26 Ok, this leads to the second part of my email. Consider this draft but it
27 somewhat outlines my thoughts on the current situation:
28
29 1) g-cpan.pl needs help
30
31 I've noticed that quite a few bugs in bugzilla stem from g-cpan.pl issues.
32
33 2) Modules need updating
34
35 I'm sure mcummings has already shown this but:
36 http://dev.gentoo.org/~mcummings/perl_updates.html. While the script that
37 created this has some minor issues, it still holds that it represents the
38 fact that there are lots of packages that need bumping.
39
40 3) Collision protection needs work
41
42 mcummings and myself have been talking about this for a bit. The plan seems
43 somewhat set, but we just need to figure out what's going on.
44
45 4) Perl minimal needs to be looked at
46
47 Apparently perl with the minimal USE flag has caused some questions by various
48 users as to what it entails. If you have an idea on what USE="minimal"
49 emerge perl should do, feel free to comment here.
50
51 5) More documentation
52
53 Documents should probably be setup for g-cpan usage, mod_perl setup, and what
54 mcummings has already posted.
55
56 That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for hearing me out even if it was
57 boring, and I hope all works out towards a better Gentoo-perl integration.
58
59 Chris White
60 Gentoo perl developer
61
62 P.S., on the note of above, if what you've heard of is something you'd be
63 interested in doing on a regular basis, feel free to contact me with regards
64 to becomming a developer.