From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Scalar::Util qw( weaken )
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:45:37
> Probably g-cpan tool may help here, but I've not tried it yet. > Is it able to: > - automatically resolve and install deep perl module dependencies > - handle interactive Makefile.PL > - run tests for all modules by default (without forcing make test on all > other packages in portage) > - force install on failed tests > - local cpan overlays (like cpansite from CPAN::Site) > ?
I've found that it's easier to keep a separate copy of perl (say "/opt/perl") with my own development environment. I use different gcc switches for it and use CPAN to maintain the contents via "perl -MCPAN -e shell". The "r" and "upgrade" options make it easy enough to keep it all up to date. The system's perl (in /usr/bin/perl) I maintain via emerge, but only to the extent that any system programs need it. That leaves me able to install new modules for development easily enough and bundle them for use in production via CPAN (or just use CPAN with a here-script or use #!perl code with to sync production with necessary modules. I don't have to worry about breaking any system code since that uses /usr/bin/perl and its emerged modules. -- Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St. Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508