From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Scalar::Util qw( weaken )
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:45:37
1 > Probably g-cpan tool may help here, but I've not tried it yet.
2 > Is it able to:
3 > - automatically resolve and install deep perl module dependencies
4 > - handle interactive Makefile.PL
5 > - run tests for all modules by default (without forcing make test on all
6 > other packages in portage)
7 > - force install on failed tests
8 > - local cpan overlays (like cpansite from CPAN::Site)
9 > ?
10
11 I've found that it's easier to keep a separate
12 copy of perl (say "/opt/perl") with my own
13 development environment. I use different gcc
14 switches for it and use CPAN to maintain the
15 contents via "perl -MCPAN -e shell". The
16 "r" and "upgrade" options make it easy enough
17 to keep it all up to date.
18
19 The system's perl (in /usr/bin/perl) I maintain
20 via emerge, but only to the extent that any
21 system programs need it.
22
23 That leaves me able to install new modules for
24 development easily enough and bundle them for
25 use in production via CPAN (or just use CPAN
26 with a here-script or use #!perl code with
27 CPAN.pm) to sync production with necessary
28 modules. I don't have to worry about breaking
29 any system code since that uses /usr/bin/perl
30 and its emerged modules.
34 Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
35 Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
36 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508