From: Nick Prater <nick@××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-perl] New perl module ebuilds to support www-apps/rt
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:00:28

I've been working on updating www-apps/rt to the latest version 3.8.1,
which I now have running on my own system.

The new version introduces a number of new perl module dependencies,
for which there are no existing ebuilds:

HTML::RewriteAttributes >= 0.02
  depends on Text::vFile::asData
  depends on Class::Accessor::Chains

I have generated ebuilds for these five modules.

There is also a dependency on Encode >= 2.13.

Version 2.12 of Encode is distributed as part of dev-lang/perl, but
there is no specific ebuild for this. As a result I have generated
ebuilds as follows:

virtual/perl-Encode-2.12  (the version that's part of dev-lang/perl)
virtual/perl-Encode-2.26  (the latest version on CPAN)

I understand that general policy is not to add ebuilds for additional
perl modules, but as these are to support another ebuild's
dependencies, it would be acceptable to add these.

I plan to submit these ebuilds to bugzilla in the next day of so.

Before I do so, is there anything obviously wrong in what I'm doing,
particularly with regard to Encode? Is there any particular etiquette
I should be following to have these ebuilds introduced?

I'd be grateful for any advice, comments or criticism. If I don't hear
anything in the next few days, I'll file each of these as bugs on
bugzilla and stand well back!

Many thanks,

Nick Prater

Subject Author