From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] perl 5.10
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:32:26
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Adam Prime <××××××××.ca> wrote:

> Perhaps this has more to do with my lack of understanding of how overlays > work more than anything else. Based on what you've said I should just be > able to unmask perl 5.10, and emerge perl and that should work just install > base perl, and perhaps all the modules i had installed for 5.8.8 (that exist > in portage anyway)? >
Overlays are just like supplementary repositories of ebuilds, they can be used in conjunction and compliment each other, in an "additive" way. Things in one overlay can depend on things in another overlay/repository, ie: stuff in the Perl overlay largely depend on stuff in the main Gentoo repository. If you install the Perl overlay, and then unmask Perl-5.10 and its dependencies, ( there are about 5 p-depends[1] that get installed after it iirc ) , it will install only what is nessecary to get the perl-5.10 core going. You may also want to manually mask out 5.8 family because theres a bit of a headache with some dependency resolution algorithms in some older version of portage. Note that once you upgrade your dev-lang/perl to 5.10, the other stuff all over your system that use Perl won't really know about the change, and will expect 5.8 stuff in most places until you upgrade *everything* perlish, ( its not automatic ). I believe there is a perl-updater script for this task, but I've not used it, I just emerged a clean system afterwards.
> I was looking at instructions in a wiki somewhere, which i of course can't > find now. (not the one linked from the thread about catalyst in the forums). > For some reason that article made me think using the overlay was an all or > nothing deal.
If you can find that article so it can be corrected and marked as rubbish that'd be great :)
> > > Thanks, > > Adam > >
[1]: PDepends are things that are a) needed by a package but b) also need that package, but are only c) runtime requirements so they can be installed afterwards. a depends c c pdepends a c needs 'a' to run, but doesn't need it to build. a needs 'c' to run and to build. c can run without 'a' present for the task of producing 'a'. so install order is c , a -- Kent perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-perl] perl 5.10 Sergiy Borodych <bor@×××××××××.ua>