From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] perl 5.10
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:32:26
1 On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Adam Prime <adam.prime@××××××××.ca> wrote:
2
3 > Perhaps this has more to do with my lack of understanding of how overlays
4 > work more than anything else. Based on what you've said I should just be
5 > able to unmask perl 5.10, and emerge perl and that should work just install
6 > base perl, and perhaps all the modules i had installed for 5.8.8 (that exist
7 > in portage anyway)?
10 Overlays are just like supplementary repositories of ebuilds, they can be
11 used in conjunction and compliment each other, in an "additive" way.
12
13 Things in one overlay can depend on things in another overlay/repository,
14 ie: stuff in the Perl overlay largely depend on stuff in the main Gentoo
15 repository.
16
17 If you install the Perl overlay, and then unmask Perl-5.10 and its
18 dependencies, ( there are about 5 p-depends[1] that get installed after it
19 iirc ) , it will install only what is nessecary to get the perl-5.10 core
20 going.
21
22 You may also want to manually mask out 5.8 family because theres a bit of a
23 headache with some dependency resolution algorithms in some older version of
24 portage.
27 Note that once you upgrade your dev-lang/perl to 5.10, the other stuff all
28 over your system that use Perl won't really know about the change, and will
29 expect 5.8 stuff in most places until you upgrade *everything* perlish, (
30 its not automatic ). I believe there is a perl-updater script for this task,
31 but I've not used it, I just emerged a clean system afterwards.
35 > I was looking at instructions in a wiki somewhere, which i of course can't
36 > find now. (not the one linked from the thread about catalyst in the forums).
37 > For some reason that article made me think using the overlay was an all or
38 > nothing deal.
41 If you can find that article so it can be corrected and marked as rubbish
42 that'd be great :)
47 > Thanks,
48 >
49 > Adam
53 [1]: PDepends are things that are a) needed by a package but b) also need
54 that package, but are only c) runtime requirements so they can be installed
55 afterwards.
56
57 a depends c
58 c pdepends a
59
60 c needs 'a' to run, but doesn't need it to build.
61 a needs 'c' to run and to build.
62 c can run without 'a' present for the task of producing 'a'.
63 so install order is
64 c , a
67 Kent
68