From: Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan patch
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:33:40
1 > - recoded the small options verification
2
3 Looks good.
4
5 > - implemented a Fake CPAN::Frontend, to catch the output of the CPAN search
6
7 Eek! That's an awful hack. That's not how code looks like I want to maintain.
8 E.g. the 'package Gentoo::CPAN::FakeFrontend' part.
9
10 > - added a small spin animation to the cpan search
11
12 I think I don't like spinners but I'm actually not really sure about that one.
13 Spinners just cause the process to take longer than it would take anyways
14 without a spinner. (I'm pretty much against everything these days so don't
15 take me too seroius on this one. ;)) Nevertheless I put that in a module
16 called Gentoo::Portage::UI::Spinner so it can be reused this way e.g.:
17
18 my $spinner=Gentoo::Portage::UI::Spinner->new();
19 for (my $i=0;$i<5;$i++)
20 {
21 $spinner->spin();
22 sleep(1);
23 }
24 $spinner->reset();
25
26 Yeah.. overhead.. but reusable and more easy to read.
27
28 Anyways. The whole Gentoo::Portage stuff needs to be ripped out (of g-cpan,
29 up2date-ng, mgtool, demerge, perl-info and some of my other endless and
30 nameless tools/hacks) and put together nicely in a neat and slick module. I'm
31 currently working on it. - Ok, ok.. I'm short of time but anyways.. - If it's
32 all set and done I'll commit it to our gentoo-perl svn, so that we can work
33 on it together. One thing I'd like to see established until then is one
34 documented and persistent coding style. Furthermore all functions/code should
35 be documented and a complete api-documentation about Gentoo::Portage should
36 be available. We need a todo-list, a feature-list and a roadmap. - Big
37 words.. ;)
38
39 I'm pretty serious about it. The reason I'm writing this is that I don't want
40 to have it turning into another big and ugly hack. I want a clean and well
41 documented api to access and manipulate portage using perl that all our
42 little tools can use.
43
44 For now I'm asking you not to commit anything until I've got that
45 Gentoo::Portage thing ready. - BUT please don't stop hacking on it and coming
46 up with ideas and stuff. :)
47
48 I just want to ensure that all our efforts go in the same direction.
51 Christian Hartmann
52 http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/
53
54 PGP Key:
55 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
56 Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865
59 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list