From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan does not detect perltidy
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:22:33
1 On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:02:36 +0200
2 Michele Beltrame <admin@×××××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > > btw, the real issue here is that g-cpan is kinda dumb when it comes
5 > > to packages that rename themselves (like /perl-tidy/i vs
6 > > /perltidy/i) - i have thoughts on ways to correct this in the next
7 > > version, always open
8 >
9 > Yep, the naming of module packages is a bit of a problem in
10 > circumstances like this. By the way, how is this resolved in
11 > situations such as LWP vs libwww-perl?
14 Lucky for me you chose a bad case example ;) LWP is bundled upstream in
15 libwww-perl-*.tar.gz, so when the current g-cpan goes to resolve it, it
16 sees libwww-perl and marks it as an existing dep.
17
18 Some better examples would be:
19
20 gtk2-fu (odd, since dams is both maintainer of the ebuild and author of
21 the module)
22 glib-perl
23 XML-Sablot(ron)
24 Parse-Yapp
25 Locale-gettext
26 CPAN-Mini-Phalanx
27 Term-ANSIColor
28
29 And all of this is of course something I didn't consider when we put out
30 the last release of g-cpan. Plus (like there's not enough fun), it seems
31 to be lacking in viable feedback on core installed modules versus
32 needing an ebuild, IO::File being the best (and ok, pretty much only
33 that I am aware of) example of that.
34
35 And don't get me started on the whole PathTools thing...
36 --
37 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list