From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan does not detect perltidy
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:22:33
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:02:36 +0200
Michele Beltrame <admin@×××××××××.info> wrote:

> > btw, the real issue here is that g-cpan is kinda dumb when it comes > > to packages that rename themselves (like /perl-tidy/i vs > > /perltidy/i) - i have thoughts on ways to correct this in the next > > version, always open > > Yep, the naming of module packages is a bit of a problem in > circumstances like this. By the way, how is this resolved in > situations such as LWP vs libwww-perl? >
Lucky for me you chose a bad case example ;) LWP is bundled upstream in libwww-perl-*.tar.gz, so when the current g-cpan goes to resolve it, it sees libwww-perl and marks it as an existing dep. Some better examples would be: gtk2-fu (odd, since dams is both maintainer of the ebuild and author of the module) glib-perl XML-Sablot(ron) Parse-Yapp Locale-gettext CPAN-Mini-Phalanx Term-ANSIColor And all of this is of course something I didn't consider when we put out the last release of g-cpan. Plus (like there's not enough fun), it seems to be lacking in viable feedback on core installed modules versus needing an ebuild, IO::File being the best (and ok, pretty much only that I am aware of) example of that. And don't get me started on the whole PathTools thing... -- gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list