From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Scalar::Util qw( weaken )
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:45:09
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:35:35AM +0100, Michele Beltrame wrote:
4 > I suggest you not use CPAN directly as, as you aready noticed, you'll
5 > end in a mess.
6
7 I'd love to use emerge for all my cpan needs, but it's hard to believe
8 that's possible. :(
9
10 > If your module isn't there as well, consider asking for it to be added:
11 > basically you can do that on this list.
12
13 It's usual for me to take some module from CPAN just to evaluate it in
14 several minutes and drop. Installing it manually isn't an option because
15 it may need up to 20-30 other modules as dependencies. Ask in list to add
16 them in portage has a little sense because chances are I'll not need it
17 after a day and it's hard to wait for several days until it will be added.
18
19 > Another option is to use CPANPLUS-Dist-Gentoo, which does a better job that
20 > g-cpan as of now.
21
22 Thanks, I'll check it. But, in my experience, cpan is still works better
23 than cpanplus. Also I need to use local overlay with our internal modules,
24 and so I've to use cpansite instead of cpan/cpanplus.
27 I've not checked that, but I expect even with modules installed by portage
28 we still have to manually re-emerge perl-core/Scalar-List-Utils after
29 re-emerging dev-lang/perl to work around that bug...
32 WBR, Alex.