From: Yuval Yaari <yyuval@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Experimental Perl
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:20:05
1 Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > Just posting a link to my blog so that the non-freaks (those who don't
3 > read my blog) have a chance to complain :) This 'article' explains what
4 > i've been doing with my experiment in slotting perl, mixing threaded and
5 > non-threaded perl, etc.
6 >
7 > http://www.datanode.net/?p=153
10 Ooh, you're slotting perl? :)
11 I recall a conversation where I suggested slotted perl and you told me
12 it's nearly impossible... :-)
13 I just have to quote you on this one: "it's always been my opinion that
14 it would be far more trouble than its worth" (sorry! had to!).
15 So I'll start by saying I'm REALLY glad you're experimenting with it.
16
17 You ended that conversation suggesting we'd move it to
18 gentoo-perl@g.o.
19 So let's:
20
21 I didn't think about having both threaded and non-threaded perl (but
22 this could be so cool...), only different versions of perl.
23 A few things I've been thinking about:
24
25 - What exactly happens when someone emerges a dev-perl/* ebuild..?
26 Will it be installed for each perl version? Shared between all perl
27 versions (might cause problems)?
28
29 - Every module's ebuild should know what perls it can run under...
30
31 - ..."After emerging Test-Harness, 2.56 stays at the top of the stack
32 at all times" is nice, but think of situations when the newer version of
33 a module can't work with older versions of perl. OUCH.
34
35 - I'd personally like the ability to emerge a module for a specific
36 version of perl. Since each perl version has its own Config.pm, each
37 perl could have its own @INC, and possibly a "shared" lib between all perls.
38
39 Just my $.02...
40