From: Antoine Raillon <antoine.raillon@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] Fwd: Réf. : Re: g-cpan ;)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:49:34
1 Le mardi 10 mai 2005 à 20:32 +0200, Michael Cummings a écrit :
2 > OK, I'm going to cut this up a little, but to bring everyone into the chain
3 > for a discussion cab and I were having about g-cpan (or my responses) :)
4 >
5 > >- What about the --upgrade ? I'm not sure it's a good idea (at least for
6 > >now). It relys too much on user's behaviour imho, praying that he didn't
7 > >delete/move his overlays/ebuilds. Maybe there could be another way using
8 > >/var/db to find what we need. I think that for now beu's suggestion of a
9 > >simple --list to get all ebuilds handled by g-cpan would be a better first
10 > >step ;)
11 >
12 > I'd kind of like to keep the upgrade (now that it's there). The idea behind it
13 > is if user installs module-foo-1 via g-cpan, they can't in the old system
14 > upgrade it without removing the ebuilds from their overlay. This gives them
15 > the ability to upgrade, as well as to tweak/update for upstream changes. Also
16 > means we can say "we don't support it, but use g-cpan to upgrade it" (beu
17 > knows what i'm talking about re: recent bug history)
18
19 Well, ok, let's keep it ;)
20 It has to be cleaned however ;p
21 and the --list should also be available (it's probably almost the same
22 code however ;p)
23
24 > >- would a special file dedicated to g-cpan be a good thing ? now that it's
25 > >a standalone application, we maybe could have it to be a bit bigger. For
26 > >example, this (these) files could allow us to store ebuild infos (what has
27 > >already been generated, pathes, versions.. etc), or as small CPAN infos
28 > >repository, by having an internal db of versions of every modules without
29 > >having to call CPAN each time we launch g-cpan. a g-cpan --update command
30 > >would update this mini-db, or we could force it on a regular basis, or add
31 > >a check in g-cpan.
32 >
33 > Not sure I follow (I think I do, but could you expand?)
34
35 Well my original idea was to avoid new downloads each time you run
36 g-cpan as user to do search. I admit it's a very specific case ;p
37 Sniper tried to convince me I was wrong, but i'm not totally convinced
38 yet ;p
39
40 > >- Thinking about config and optional options, wouldn't a config file be an
41 > >helpful thing ? let's say a /etc/g-cpan.conf, that would allow us to store
42 > >default behaviour, delays between forced update, and such things..
43 >
44 > or ~/.g-cpan.conf since we now support user calls :)
45
46 We support them for searches only ;)
47 I'd prefer if this file was system-wide, I just think it's the way it
48 should be =)
49
50 > >- a special sub for md5ing things ? ($md5 = md5-sum($file)). It would clean
51 > >some lines ;)
52
53 I've done this one tonight
54
55 > as well as the whole scanning the tree parts :)
56
57 Tomorrow maybe ? but your code is dense and i don't fully understand
58 it ;)
59 /me refuses to broke anything ;p
60
61 > >- updating exit_usage ;p
62 > yeah - thinking we might not want to remove the generated config for cpan,
63 > just tell them its there and they can fix it if they want better performance
64
65 and checking for what will stay in those ./cpan dirs too (especially if
66 we use them as local overlays ;p)
67
68 Sniper had some other ideas, but i'll let him introduce them ;)
72 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list