From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-perl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-perl] g-cpan -u
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:18:19
1 Chisel Wright wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:09:15PM +0000, Chisel Wright wrote:
3 >
4 > I've only skimmed over g-cpan.pl, but I can't see anywhere in sub
5 > upgrade_module{} where the CPAN version is compared against the
6 > currently installed version.
9 I could try the old developer trick of "in the next version..." - but
10 the short of it is, you're right, we cheat here. Instead of expending
11 time on checking module versions (which seem to change numbering schemes
12 between releases sometimes), we just check to see if we need to make an
13 ebuild for it or if one already exists (after making sure we are in
14 $OVERLAY/perl-gcpan of course, and not upgrading your 'real' tree) -
15 then we just rely on portage to handle the -u for anything that has an
16 ebuild greater than what's installed. Cheap, tawdry - sure beat writing
17 version checkers (or adding deps for one)(or stealing more code from how
18 cpan handles it, which I will show off in the next version with some new
19 fangled dep checking).
22 gentoo-perl@g.o mailing list