From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Title Case versus sentence case
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 18:34:02
1 On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:34:23 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > This is one for the typography geeks. :)
4 >
5 > Out of the 167 (1st to 4th level) section headings in PMS, 72 are
6 > using Title Case (i.e., important words are capitalised) and 38 are
7 > using sentence case (only first word capitalised). For the remaining
8 > 57 it makes no difference (e.g., because they consist of a single word
9 > only).
10 >
11 > Clearly this is inconsistent. Should we change to:
12 >
13 > - Sentence case. This is the style used in the wiki [1].
14 > - Title Case. This is what is used in the Devmanual. OTOH, section
15 > headings containing technical terms like "The parent File" look a
16 > little strange.
17 > - APA style [2]: Title Case at levels 1 and 2 (i.e., chapters and
18 > sections) but sentence case at levels 3 and lower. This might
19 > require the fewest changes, because all chapter headings are in
20 > Title Case already, whereas sentence case seems to be preferred at
21 > lower levels.
22
23 The standards I usually write to mandate inconsistency: \section and
24 \subsection are title case, and \paragraph is sentence case with no
25 full stop at the end...
28 Ciaran McCreesh