From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Mismatch between tree and PMS
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:29:57
> No, the change can't be made without breaking the upgrade path. Users > who have an old EAPI 0 system with bash 3.0 installed need to be able > to upgrade it, and they can't do that if they can't source ebuilds. The > impact of the change you're suggesting has to be considered, and it's > not a simple decision to make.
Some relative timing of events may be interesting here: 12 May 2007 bash-3.2_p15 stable on major architectures. 19 Aug 2008 python-2.3.6-r6 removed, which was the last ebuild of Python with EAPI 0. So the upgrade path for EAPI 0 systems is broken anyway, for a different reason. And if we stay at bash-3.0, then we should probably add its ebuild to the tree again, in order to ease compatibility testing. It was removed half a year ago. Ulrich