From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Characters allowed in EAPI names
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:52:27
1 On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 07:45:51AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:40:05 +0100
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >>>>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, David Leverton wrote:
5 > > > I think the logic behind that is that an EAPI defined outside PMS
6 > > > wouldn't be bound by PMS's rules anyway, and the EAPIs defined
7 > > > inside PMS are explicitly listed so there's not much point giving a
8 > > > general syntactic rule as well [...]
9 > >
10 > > If we follow this logic, then the following sentence should be removed
11 > > from PMS:
12 > >
13 > > "EAPIs whose value starts with the string paludis- are reserved for
14 > > experimental use by the Paludis package manager."
15 >
16 > Don't tell anyone, but that's mostly just in there because some people
17 > insisted that EAPIs were numbers (and thus comparable), so I wanted an
18 > explicit mention of one that wasn't.
19
20 A hard rule there is a bit dumb, although frankly I don't hugely
21 care one way or another- if we have it, extend it to the three
22 rather than just paludis. Or drop it, don't hugely care.
23
24 EAPI *does* need to be tightened to make clear the first char of EAPI
25 can't be '-'; it's used now via the cache as a marker to indicate that
26 it pulled the EAPI, but didn't know how to handle it. It's live and
27 in use, and has been an undocumented requirement basically since day
28 1.
29
30 No one is going to conflict with it, just best to explicitly note it's
31 offlimits as the first char of an EAPI name.
32 ~harring