From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Bash features
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 20:15:15
>> | Vote (6 yes, 1 no): Ebuilds must be completely parsable with >> | =bash-3.2*, any use of later bash features will be reverted.
> Doesn't the way that's worded mean "it has to work with every single > 3.2 patch", though? I take that to mean "must be completely parsable > with bash-3.2_p0 through bash-3.2_p9999", not "must work with at > least one version of bash-3.2_psomething".
Then we could simply have said "must be parsable with =bash-3.2" which we didn't. Clearly, the main idea was to disallow usage of bash-4* features. We could also discuss if "use of features" includes things mentioned in the documentation but not properly working because of bugs. Anyway, I think that tweaking the spec's wording wouldn't have many practical consequences. But we may have to revert that eclass for a different reason: The council has voted (in the same meeting) that an upgrade path for stable systems must be provided for one year at least. One year ago bash-3.2_p33 was the latest stable version, therefore we must not yet rely on any bugfixes in _p48. Ulrich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] Bash features Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-pms] Bash features David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>