From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Mismatch between tree and PMS
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:59:41
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:32:34 -0400
3 > Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> We agree on very little, but one thing we do agree on is the quantity
6 >> of trolling that DOES occur on -dev when these issues are brought
7 >> up. Is there any method by which a discussion can be had on -PMS in
8 >> a smaller forum, and a proposal could thereby be brought to -dev in
9 >> several weeks agreed upon here, and subsequently submitted to the
10 >> Council? I'm hoping this will reduce the potential for trolling.
13 > That tends to be what happens anyway, and I strongly suspect we've
14 > already covered all the pros and cons of the proposal on this list that
15 > we're going to come up with (although there're probably some
16 > interesting viewpoints on the upgrade path that can be had from a
17 > wider audience). The wider consultation part is necessary, though, since
18 > I doubt anyone wants things that aren't a simple "there's only one side
19 > to this" to go from PMS to Council without them having had a good public
20 > airing first.
21 >
22 Agreed, but I'd like to have something more formal, and perhaps
23 someplace less loud than -dev for this.
24
25 > There're threads that end up working fine on gentoo-dev@, and there're
26 > threads where there's an endless supply of FUD posted to them. Things
27 > that tend to help make threads the former rather than the latter are:
28 >
29 > * The initial proposal, and any counter proposals, being clear and well
30 > defined, and not vague ideas that haven't been thought through. It's
31 > possible to screw things up for months just by replying "well I have
32 > an alternate proposal that involves frozbinating the glixnors", and
33 > then not telling anyone what that proposal is.
34 >
35 Agreed
36 > * Arguments for or against a proposal being expressed clearly and in
37 > technical terms, rather than "warblgarbl".
38 >
39 I just mentally filter out such things.
40 > * Getting contributions only from people who understand the issue at
41 > hand. That one's the biggie, and I've not found any way of helping on
42 > that -- providing clear and detailed explanations of everything
43 > has only led to people not reading those explanations. Some people
44 > seem to be able to think that their opinions are relevant even if
45 > they're commenting on highly technical issues that they haven't taken
46 > the time to understand.
47 >
48 Opinions on the internet are like assholes, everyone has one, and some
49 smell more than others.
50 > * Where multiple options are available, having several clearly separate
51 > proposals rather than trying to lump everything into a single
52 > proposal that covers every option.
53 >
54 > The ultimate decision making process also hasn't helped. In the past
55 > the Council has worked on a policy of "if there're any unanswered
56 > questions, the proposal gets postponed", even if those questions are
57 > obviously nonsense and have already been addressed twenty times
58 > previously. This unfortunately means that the trolls can't simply be
59 > ignored.
60 >
61 I don't think you'll get an argument from me on the failures of Council
62 leadership.
63 > Having said that, all it takes is for a couple of people to jump on a
64 > proposal they don't understand and start yelling that it will break
65 > their favourite toy, and at best the proposal then gets derailed for
66 > several months before sanity prevails.
67 >
68 This is what I'm trying to avoid. If we're going to propose something,
69 I'd rather hash it out here and then submit it to dev than to start a
70 -dev thread with "so I had this idea... maybe we could change EAPI-4 to
71 do X"
72
73 Andrew