From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Small cleanup of ebuild-functions.tex
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:21:48
On Sunday 20 September 2009 17:37:59 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:21:24 +0200 > > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote: > > First change: the test phase is only run when enabled. Since PMS > > doesn't document FEATURES yet we can only say "if tests are enabled" > > instead of being more precise. Well, defining FEATURES shouldn't be > > too hard, but that's for another day. > > Please cross-reference that to the part where we explain that src_test > is run at user option.
I fail to find such a thing in current PMS.
> You might also want to tidy up the language on > that so that the user option part is explained even if kdebuild is > disabled.
I suggest we do as you suggested yesterday and remove kdebuild unconditionally. That saves hacking around something that cannot be in the final version anyway.
> > > Second change: The phase order for package updates and reinstalls is > > the same. This makes a whole chunk of the listing redundant, so we > > can collapse it. > > Actually, this one's a bit of a mess, thanks to Portage making a > non-EAPI-controlled order change that was supposed to go in in EAPI 2 > but didn't.
Yeah, messy thing. But as you are well aware there was no sane way to make that change EAPI-dependant without causing ambiguous situation and much more confusion.
> If you're updating it, please do so to accurately reflect > both orders that can be and are used.
Any version of portage in use uses the "later" version. Feel free to document historic behaviour if you want, but as PMS hasn't documented it before I'd put it in the errata section.
> > 3 lines added, 21 removed. Isn't decrufting great? > Decrufting is only good if what you're doing really is removing cruft...
Well, I've started with the simple things. Once we have the big errors fixed we can move on to the more interesting changes ...

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] Small cleanup of ebuild-functions.tex Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>