From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:30:51
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4 > > Lines with a width of 100 characters are hard to read, therefore I
5 > > would much prefer a more conventional value like 70 or 72. Maybe
6 > > with exceptions for some of the tables.
7 > >
8 > > A good time for making such a change would be when EAPI 3 is
9 > > finished. What do you think?
10 >
11 > Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source
12 > code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen
13 > comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with.
14
15 We don't talk about source code but continous text even if having some
16 mark-up around. And best readability for such text is around 60
17 characters per line, languages with long words may have more.
18
19 > This bikeshed does not need repainting bright pink with orange spots.
20
21 And you don't want us to argue about the colour, right?
22
23 V-Li
26 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
27 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
28
29 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>