From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionales
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:12:44
1 >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >> I'm not looking to start a fight, and frankly after a year or so
4 >> I've learned to just subconsciously/automatically ignore kdebuild,
5 >> but why exactly must this be in pms?
6
7 > Because we have not yet established that no users have kdebuild
8 > things installed.
9
10 This is not a fact that could ever be verified, therefore your
11 argument is nonsensical.
12
13 > Thus, package managers that support it have to go on supporting it.
14 > Once kdebuild can be safely removed from package managers that have
15 > supported it, it can then be removed from PMS.
16
17 Last mention of kdebuild was removed from the KDE overlay at
18 2008-09-23, which was more than one year ago. Generally we don't
19 support upgrades of outdated systems for more than one year.
20
21 But it's irrelevant anyway, since it was never an approved EAPI.
22 Therefore, we can remove it any time.
23
24 And as was already pointed out several times, there was a council
25 decision about the issue in the 2008-04-10 meeting:
26
27 | The council voted that kdebuild-1 and other unapproved EAPIs could
28 | not be in an approved PMS document. The spec isn't a place for
29 | proposals or things that will never be submitted for approval by the
30 | council. It's a specification, a reference of what is allowed in the
31 | main tree.
32
33 Ulrich