From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:30:20
1 Am Samstag, 23. Juni 2012, 22:17:51 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
2 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > > It is certainly possible refine this more. Allowing only EAPI=5
4 > > ebuilds in package.use.stable.*, and have the files only take effect
5 > > there, comes to my mind. However I doubt if these restrictions are
6 > > really necessary and if a EAPI dependence at this place in the
7 > > profile makes actually sense.
8 >
9 > The way we usually word such things is to have a table of EAPIs where
10 > support is required if the package mangler accepts indicated EAPIs. Then
11 > it's an error for ebuilds to rely upon support if they don't use one of
12 > those EAPIs. This gets you out of the profile EAPI requirement.
13
14 Yeah but... the ebuilds themselves dont actually rely anywhere on the feature.
15
16 > One thing that isn't addressed is what "stable" means. PMS doesn't
17 > currently attach that level of meaning to KEYWORDS. In particular,
18 > there's nothing implied about the relationship between ~x86 and x86.
19
20 Not strictly true. Quoting the section that I am referring to:
21
22 "A tilde prefixed keyword is, by convention, used to indicate a less stable
23 package. It is generally assumed that any user accepting keyword
24 \t{\textasciitilde{}foo} will also accept \t{foo}."
25
26 I guess this gives us at least something to build on.
29 Andreas K. Huettel
30 Gentoo Linux developer
31 kde (team lead), sci, tex, arm, printing
32 dilfridge@g.o
33 http://www.akhuettel.de/