From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:52:24
1 Folks-
2
3 Keeping it short and quick, a basic glep has been written for what I'm
4 proposing for DEPENDENCIES enhancement.
5
6 The live version of the doc is available at
7 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/unified-dependencies/extensible_dependencies.html
8
9 Wording fixes will occur, but the core concept shouldn't change (and
10 if it does, per PEP standards, the changes will be noted/tracked).
11
12 Please have a read through; it should be clear/concise as to why PM
13 authors are pushing for a unified dependencies to be done, what we can
14 get from it now, what it enables moving forward, and the direct cost
15 to devs should this idea be implemented.
16
17 Just to be absolutely clear, what I'm proposing is basically zero cost
18 for devs- they can (and should when it's in their benefit) switch to
19 the new syntax when it makes their job easier; it can be used in
20 parallel to existing DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND both to ease
21 transition/compatibility.
22
23 In addition, a prototype portage patch has been cut for dependencies
24 support (needs work/full validation), and a matching pkgcore one has
25 been cut.
26
27 I realize it's a complex subject; if you have questions, please feel
28 to ask.
29
30 Thanks, and pardon the ancillary/daft noise that has gone with this
31 subject.
32
33 ~harring