From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] REPLACING_VERSIONS
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:28:29
1 On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:23:51 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > PMS currently says: "A whitespace-separated list of versions of this
4 > package (including revision, if specified) that are being replaced
5 > (uninstalled or overwritten) as a result of this install."
6 >
7 > Shouldn't the spec guarantee that it's the empty string (i.e., not
8 > a string containing arbitrary whitespace) if the list is empty?
9 > Otherwise simple binary tests like [[ -n ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]
10 > cannot be done.
11 >
12 > For REPLACED_BY_VERSION, it is explicitly specified: "The single
13 > version ..., or an empty string otherwise."
14
15 We had an issue with this early on with Paludis: certain eclasses were
16 expecting exact spacing requirements inside A and AA based upon a
17 quirk in how Portage created them, and it was causing weird bugs. I'd
18 be inclined to say that people should write more tolerant code...
21 Ciaran McCreesh