From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI cheat sheet (for review)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 20:14:25
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4
5 > On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:33:39 +0200
6 > Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > So what I'd like to be able to do is have it say "see section
8 > > > [funcs.src_unpack.3]" rather than "see section 1.2.3.4", and then
9 > > > when we have a labelled section, lay it out something like:
10 > >
11 > > What is possible is to reference the heading of the section and
12 > > even the name from \label. Displaying the label names in the
13 > > margin should be feasible, too, as far as I remember.
14 >
15 > That would be helpful.
16
17 Ok, I will investigate and present some working code snippets so
18 everyone knows how to handle that.
19
20 > > > I realise this is somewhat getting away from your original patch.
21 > > > But I strongly suspect that the cheat sheet will be a lot more
22 > > > useful if it has references to exactly what the new src_unpack is,
23 > > > for when people need to look it up -- and it would help if people
24 > > > didn't have to print out a new cheatsheet to get valid section
25 > > > references every time we tweak the wording in such a way that the
26 > > > section numbers change...
27 > >
28 > > Correct, but a task I can't handle in the near future, I can give
29 > > some advise though and someone labelling all appropriate paragraphs
30 > > would do the biggest part. They should have a naming scheme like:
31 > > eapi4:<function>:<name> where function is something like
32 > > install|phase|etc.
33 >
34 > Yeah, that'd work.
35 >
36 > I'm wondering what our best merge strategy is here. I'm inclined to
37 > think we're best off fixing all the labels on the eapi-3 branch (even
38 > if we can't get them displayed or used for named references just yet),
39 > rebasing that onto master (not much has diverged) once we have the
40 > go-ahead from the Council either next meeting or the one after
41 > (probably...) and then doing the cheat-sheet with EAPI 3 included on
42 > top of that.
43
44 That sounds ok to me. Getting those labels in is the most important
45 part...so that should be feature wise for every feature listed in
46 appendix E. Volunteers?
47
48 > Or were you particularly desperate to get the cheat-sheet in for EAPI
49 > 2?
50
51 No, a version has been announced and is available for download. So no
52 haste here. What time frame do you expect to approve EAPI 3?
53
54 V-Li
57 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
58 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
59
60 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>