From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] REPLACING_VERSIONS
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:19:07
>> Shouldn't the spec guarantee that it's the empty string (i.e., not >> a string containing arbitrary whitespace) if the list is empty? >> Otherwise simple binary tests like [[ -n ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]] >> cannot be done.
> We had an issue with this early on with Paludis: certain eclasses > were expecting exact spacing requirements inside A and AA based upon > a quirk in how Portage created them, and it was causing weird bugs. > I'd be inclined to say that people should write more tolerant > code...
No, nothing like exact spacing requirements in the general case. Only simplify developers' lifes in what I guess will be 90% of the usage. And I think that one could already read "space separated" in that way: If there are no elements, there is nothing to separate. Ulrich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] REPLACING_VERSIONS Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>