From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] REPLACING_VERSIONS
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:19:07
1 >>>>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >> Shouldn't the spec guarantee that it's the empty string (i.e., not
4 >> a string containing arbitrary whitespace) if the list is empty?
5 >> Otherwise simple binary tests like [[ -n ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]
6 >> cannot be done.
7
8 > We had an issue with this early on with Paludis: certain eclasses
9 > were expecting exact spacing requirements inside A and AA based upon
10 > a quirk in how Portage created them, and it was causing weird bugs.
11 > I'd be inclined to say that people should write more tolerant
12 > code...
13
14 No, nothing like exact spacing requirements in the general case. Only
15 simplify developers' lifes in what I guess will be 90% of the usage.
16
17 And I think that one could already read "space separated" in that way:
18 If there are no elements, there is nothing to separate.
19
20 Ulrich