From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Clarification of has_version cat/pkg[use=] behavior for EAPI 3 or 4
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:11:16
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:41:59 +0300
Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
> Currently Portage does not work with has_version cat/pkg[use=]. I > filed a bug about this: > > > Portage current behavior: > 17:38 <@zmedico> Betelgeuse: quick test seems to show always true if > it's in IUSE > > I see a couple course of possible actions: > 1. Current PMS already implies this behavior and Portage is buggy. > Let's document this explicitly for EAPI 3 and have Portage fixed so > using EAPI 3 makes sure this syntax works.
The wording is "The flag must be enabled if the flag is enabled for the package with the dependency, or disabled otherwise.". The question then is whether that applies only to *DEPEND, or whether it's to anywhere where there's a "package with the dependency". Given that the section that specifies it isn't limited to *DEPEND, but describes dependency specifications in general, I'd say that PMS requires it to be supported. Having said that, it's pretty horrible, and unless there's a good use case for such a feature, I'd not be opposed to shoving in a retroactive ban on it... -- Ciaran McCreesh