From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Re: EAPI 5
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 09:19:16
1 On Tue, 1 May 2012 11:01:57 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2012, 10:38:41 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
4 > > > Well. PMS describes the files in a profile directory. If
5 > > > * we introduce a new file via PMS that was not in there before,
6 > > > * and another package manager accesses that file but expects
7 > > > different information there not corresponding to our new
8 > > > definition, that package manager should be considered broken
9 > > > because it is not adhering to previous PMS revisions. So?
10 > >
11 > > What happens if a user uses an EAPI 4 ebuild with an EAPI 4 package
12 > > manager when the ebuild in question would be hit by your new files,
13 > > which the package manager doesn't know about yet?
14 >
15 > Err, nothing? The useflags remain available and switchable as before,
16 > no difference regarding useflags between stable / not stable?
17
18 What is the impact of this, then? Does it mean users will start to see
19 lots of "masked" errors that they should not be seeing?
22 Ciaran McCreesh