From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] What is meant by "once the current phase function has returned"?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:50:14
1 On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:50:24 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > in the description of several commands (e.g., "has_version" and
4 > "best_version") I find the following sentence:
5 >
6 > ,----
7 > | Ebuilds must not run any of these commands once the current phase
8 > | function has returned.
9 > `----
10 >
11 > Can somebody please enlighten me what is meant by this? (The only
12 > explanation I could think of is that the ebuild should not background
13 > the command, but that seems very far-fetched. ;-)
14
15 Yes, that's what it means. Really I wanted to ban ebuilds from spawning
16 any process that lasts beyond the scope of the phase function, but
17 unfortunately some ebuilds do naughty things with init scripts, so
18 we had to make do with things that query package manager internals...
19
20 I seem to recall this being discussed on gentoo-dev along with the
21 parallelisation stuff, although I can't seem to find an archives link.
24 Ciaran McCreesh